Hello everyone! My name is Nikola. I blog and contribute to open source projects in my free time. I started this blog in order to keep track of my notes and share my experience. Hope it has been useful for someone else :)
See all on my GitHub repositories page.
I use the latest Fedora with GNOME everywhere (until Fedora breaks :D). Here are my favorite pieces of software:
- Linux distro: Fedora, Arch, Ubuntu, Debian
- Package manager: pacman (the fastest one IMO)
- Desktop environment:
KDE 4GNOME 3 (BRING BACK MY COMPIZ)
- Window manager: i3wm (there’s also sway that supports Wayland)
- Menu / application launcher: dmenu, rofi (the latter is beautiful)
- Browser: Chromium (I used to use Firefox in the past, though)
- File manager: Nautilus (not that tool named GNOME Files!) / PCManFM
- Text editor: nano (vi* users, just pass by)
- Terminal: GNOME Terminal, termite
- IDE: IntelliJ IDEA
- Music player: DeaDBeeF, VLC
- Password manager: KeePass (Mono GUI is so fancy)
- Partition manager: GParted
- Torrent client: Transmission (-gtk)
- Static site generator: Hugo (look around!)
- SQL database: SQLite, PostgreSQL
- Initialization system: systemd
- Build system: Gradle, Meson, CMake
These are my favorite ones:
- Go - for simplicity, statically linked binaries and generics
- Kotlin - a better Java
- Python - because it has Zen
I’ve left Java for Kotlin, that’s why it is not listed.
I usually stick to using a permissive Apache 2.0 license, but may also use some sort of GPL if I want to ensure the code of the derived works is open source too.
My current work machine is HP ProBook 440 G5, a pretty powerful laptop that is capable of running dozens of emulators (also, it has a cool stickers on its top). There is also a lot of various Android devices here and there. I used to use Cyanogenmod, but now I prefer stock Google ROMs.
All views expressed here on this site are my own and do not represent the opinions of any entity whatsoever with which I have been, am now, or will be affiliated.